Monday 11 July 2016

Seborrheic dermatitis- Dandruff

Namaste!

Okay! So I have a lot of skin problems, from my head to toe. I don't know till date how many skin problems I have been went through. It might be because I have a weak immune system and my immune system is weak because I am underweight. I recently went through chickenpox at this age due to my weak immune system. My body cannot resist allergies and infection. It does not have the power to fight it. I get infected and allergic very easily.

In January 2014 I got my rebounding done. My hairs were already straight but the hair dresser at the salon made me a fool by telling me that I am going to do a hair relaxing treatment in your hairs as they have become very dry and frizzy. I only went there to get a blow dry. I know the condition of my hairs were not great but they were not bad as they are today and now I have to go through so many experimentation in my hairs to improve the condition of it.

I was unaware of the name "hair relaxing treatment" and I thought that it would actually do something good to my hairs so that my hairs could "relax" from the damage they were getting through heat and pollution. When the treatment started I asked the concerned person is it the actual thing what you told me and what chemicals you are applying in my hairs as I could smell a very pungent smell of some chemicals and that was keratin, so obviously the person denied that I am not doing rebounding it's just a treatment which has chemicals but that is not going to damage your hairs. As I mentioned that my hairs were already straight and now they became so poker straight that it was looking as if I was bald and wearing a wig(chipkoo hairs).

After few months in April I noticed that I was getting acne and some redness on my face, around my mouth and on the tip of my nose. It was increasing day by day. I went to the dermatologist and she told me that it's due to dandruff and from that time I have been applying medicated shampoo, some ointment was also given to reduce the redness on my face but all it works till the time you are using it otherwise whenever you stop using it the infection starts all over again. It is actually serborrheic dermatitis which has no cure till date in my knowledge.

I have to use a medicated shampoo at least thrice a weak otherwise the sebum production in my scalp increases and which leads to dandruff and acne. May be the sebum production has increased because of the rebounding. Chemicals are used in it and the doctor said that it might be due to this as it  does not suit every person. I should have considered the condition of my skin prior getting any kind of treatments done whether it may be for hairs or skin. My skin gets easily reacted, it is very thin and sensitive. I get rashes easily when I step out in the sun. So how much harm does the chemical has caused to my scalp/skin you can think.

Many people these days are suffering from seborrheic dermatitis and it might be due to other reasons-

  • Stress
  • Genetic
  • Yeast production
  • Some medicines
  • Oily skin
  • Depression
  • Eating disorders
  • Lack of cleanliness  


From the last 2.5 years I am using a medicated shampoo on a regular basis. These days I have also started using regular shampoo when I oil my hairs or apply a pack as it is difficult to remove the oil or the pack from the medicated one. Currently I am using Nuforce shampoo which consists ketoconazole IP 2% and zinc pyrithione(ZPTO) 1%, this shampoo also states that it has conditioner as well so I switched to this one. Previously I was using Keraglow AD shampoo, but nuforce is better then this as keraglow makes the hairs more dry and frizzy. All the medicated shampoo does so but I have to use it as I have no other option.

Things to do-

  • Keep your scalp clean.
  • Use a shampoo which has ketocanazole and the other components can be like zinc pyrithione or coal tar or salicylic acid or selinium sulfide. But ketocanazole is must.
  • Change your pillow cover whenever you clean your scalp.
  • Keep your surrounding clean, especially your bed.


This problem is permanent and the only cure is to use the medicated shampoo otherwise you have to face dandruff. These days I am researching and trying to figure out a permanent cure for this through homeopathy treatment as the medicated shampoo has made my hairs dry and rough. Even using these kind of shampoo's in the scalp could lead to some side effects and hair fall, hair fall is very common when you are getting a treatment in your hairs or using some medicated thing.

I wish I find a permanent cure for seborrheic dematitis and if so than I am surely going to share it. :)

1 comment :