Thursday 4 August 2016

PCOD/PCOS

Namaste!

Polycystic ovary disease(PCOD) or polycystic ovary syndrome(PCOS) both are the same. When I visited the doctor in 2010 than she said it as PCOD now mostly the doctors call it PCOS. Okay! So here why I am discussing about this problem because due to  this many of the skin related problems are caused like acne, hair growth especially facial hairs and also weight gain. I know I am very skinny and underweight but when I had this problem my weight was around 49 kg which was normal according to my height and age. But as soon I was recovered with this problem my weight reduced to 43 kg, and I realized that this is me, my actual body, at that time I had fat because of the cyst.
I started getting acne when I was 13. I was very much pissed like the other kids but I got more worried when I noticed that I am getting facial hairs especially on my chin and the overall growth of my body hairs were also increasing. Till 5 years I was struggling and trying to figure out the solution. Whenever I visited the dermatologist she used tell me that it's normal in teenage and gave me few medicines and ointments. I have used what not- CLYNDAMYCIN, BENZOYL PEROXIDE, NEEM, CINNAMON, POTATO, TOMATO, HOMEOPATHY, I tried every possible thing and remedies to find the cure for this acne. My facial hair problem was not much as compared to other girls but my acne and pimples were increasing every day. Medicines had temporary solution and when I stopped taking them than again the pimples popped out.
One day in 2010 my family physician referred me to a gynecologist and she told me to get some tests done. There were some blood tests and ultrasound. She also asked about my period cycle, than we came to a conclusion that the internal problem is leading to the miserable face of mine. The ultrasound showed that there were cyst in the ovaries and in blood test it was found that my testosterone level has increased that are male hormones which leads to manly characteristics in a female. Thank God! I am still a female... The testosterone leads to facial hair growth even the voice becomes husky and masculine, there could be other characteristics as well, but I encountered only hair growth and the husky voice. My only problem due to PCOD was acne and facial hair growth. I also had sotret capsules for few months(for acne), but it could lead to liver problems if you do not have a strong liver and extreme dryness in your lips. Please do not take this medicine if you have a dry skin otherwise it could lead to cuts in your lips and face too if you do threading.
SYMPTOMS:

  • Weight gain
  • Hair growth(hirsutism)/hair loss
  • Acne/Pimples
  • Heavy voice
  • Anxiety
  • Infertility

Finally I started taking Diane 35 which is a contraceptive that is supposed to be taken for 21 days. There are other contraceptives for 21 days that are prescribed by the gynecologist. I took this for around 2 years and than stopped for next 6 months. After that I repeated it like I took the medicine for 2 months or 3 months and gave a break for few months. In June'14 I stopped taking the medicine and then got a ultrasound done in September and found that there were no cyst left and the problem has been solved now. But it can again show up if there is any kind of hormonal changes. The procedure of taking the medicine on and off is repeated until you do not get regular periods every month. If it is missed or delayed for more than 10 days than you should definitely get your self checked.
Now it's been around 2 years that all my hormonal system is balanced and I am getting my periods in time. I also had lots of fish in my diet which contains omega 3 and avoided junk food a lot. But this does not assures that it cannot happen in future. PCOS could happen at any time to any female and most of the times it is because of our unhealthy lifestyle.
PREVENTION:

  • Healthy lifestyle which includes exercise and inclusion of healthy food in your diet
  • Avoid junk food
  • Avoid stress
NOTE: Please do not take any medicines without prescription of a good doctor.

No comments :

Post a Comment